LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday 2 August 2014

Tomato & Lentil Soup

I love tomato soup!  Heinz Tomato soup is my all time favourite - it is a cure for everything - even hangovers!! haha

So I was keen to try and make a Slimming World friendly version.  I found various recipes online - all similar with variations and decided on this one. 

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it as one of the ingredients is celery which I can't stand, but it was chopped up so small in the food processor then blitzed at the end, you could barely tell it was in there.

I kept tasting it along the way and felt it needed a lot of seasoning, so I added Worcester Sauce, Tabasco and some Swartz red & black pepper (one of my cupboard staples!)

I am a great bread lover and that is one of my downfalls as I could just live off sandwiches, toast, bagels etc...so I'm trying to cut out as much bread as I can.  Normally I would have a great big hunk of bread with soup, so I added some croutons just for the crunch effect which were only 1 syn for the 5g that I had, but the soup itself is syn free.

So this was how I made it:

1 carton chopped tomatoes in garlic, 1 large onion, 1-2 cloves garlic, 2 sticks celery, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, pinch of cayenne pepper, 140g red lentils (rinsed),  pint of vegetable stock, salt and pepper, worcester sauce, couple of splashes of tabasco, a shake of black & red pepper.


The onions & celery were chopped in the food processor then fried off for a few minutes with Frylight.  Then added the tomatoes, lentils, stock, spices and brought to the boil. Simmered for about 30 minutes until the lentils are soft . Then blitzed in a blender.


I just seasoned as I went along till I found a taste that was right for me.

Turned out really nice and would get about 4 servings.  You end up with quite a thick soup so I watered mine down just a bit.  It's not quite up to my Heinz Tomato soup standard but will carry on with my quest.  It did have a slight kick in it though which I liked.

The only downside was the nice white t-shirt I had on was splattered - will I ever learn?!

No comments:

Post a Comment